Our Pepper Garlic Seasoning is a spicy mix of crushed chiles and garlic, handcrafted to recreate the intense flavors of the popular Libyan condiment pilpelchuma. Pilpelchuma which translates to “pepper garlic” in Hebrew, is common throughout Libya and Israel and is often compared to harissa.
- Ready to use. Add to taste.
- 5 varieties of ground chiles blended with granulated garlic and other spices
- Rich, bold flavor and strong, spicy aroma
- It’s a great choice to add a spicy touch to applications where a moist chile paste is impractical
- It can also be rehydrated with a splash of warm water to recreate an authentically spicy chile paste
- Stir into tomato sauce and toss with pasta
- Spread on salmon or pork chops before grilling
- Toss with root vegetables before roasting
Shakshuka (an Israeli expression for “mixed up”) is a classic Israeli dish with roots in the scarcity of the 1950s, when eggs were a much relied-on source of protein. Our Pepper Garlic, chile-based sauce reflects the influence of many waves of African immigrants.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons F+F Pepper Garlic Seasoning
- 1 (28 ounces) can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Warm oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften.
- Stir in F+F Pepper Garlic Seasoning, and sauté until fragrant. Add tomatoes and their juices and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Use large cooking spoon to make 8 shallow depressions in sauce. Crack one egg into each depression.
- After adding last egg, return to medium-high heat and cover skillet tightly. Cook 6 minutes without lifting lid, then check eggs for desired doneness. Cover and cook to preferred doneness, about 6 minutes for runny yolks to 10 minutes for hard-cooked.
- Divide eggs and sauce among 4 shallow bowls and sprinkle with cilantro and cheese. Serve immediately.